Griffin summer camp is designed to progressively get you ready for both the Team Time Trial - at Central Park on August 6th and the competitive season from September to mid November. The more practices you make the better your racing will be and the more you will enjoy the sport. You are encouraged to make as many practices as possible but they are all optional. If you cannot make practice - you do not need to contact us.
If you go on vacation or for any reason cannot make practice - please make every effort to take your shoes with you and get your workout in. Your teammates will be getting better EVERY day (6 days a week).
Here is our weekly schedule:
Boy’s Varsity 40 miles per week these next 3 weeks, Girls Varsity and Boy JV - 30 miles, Girls JV 25 miles. Rookies 15-25 miles.
Monday - Thursdays - 5:00pm-7:00pm, Friday and Saturday - 8:30am-10:30am.
Mondays - meet at either Central Park (Huntington Beach) or Signal Hill for hill day (we will send an email location update each week).
Tuesdays - meet at Seal Beach Pier for workout
Wednesday - meet at LAHS Track - Interval Day
Thursday - meet at room 816 at LAHS - Short run, Hill ramps, Frisbee and Pool
Friday - meet at room 816 at LAHS - Long Run Day
Saturday - mystery run - coaches will announce mid-week each week. Meet at location.
We will start you relatively easy. As you adjust to the workouts we will start to insert you into our regular running groups.
The key for you is consistency. The more days you come to running camp the more you will progress.
Find someone a little faster than you to run with. Focus on Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Be sure to run on days you miss camp.
Into the fire! We trust you have been running and we will be training accordingly.
Your biggest improvement will come from how you upgrade your training - mileage, pace, strength and explosive work.
All athletes, let coaches know if you have any injuries and be sure to ice them at home 3 X 10 minutes. It is natural to be sore after workouts - for the first two weeks - then you should be pretty fit and feeling better.
What to bring - we have a pretty simple sport - just bring:
- Good running shoes (Snail’s Pace in Fountain Valley is a good source if you still need shoes)
- Water bottle - filled with ice and water - EVERY DAY. Be sure to sip water all day long - stay hydrated.
- On Mondays (not this first one), Wednesdays and Fridays - we will have our toughest workouts - if possible bring a Gatorade or other sports drink and a Clif Bar or other sports bar / or Apple or Banana / or a box of Chocolate Milk. We need to get electrolytes and carbs in you within 20 minutes of the end of practice - to help your body recover and so it is ready to run the next day.
- running gear and swimsuit on Thursday - the second half of practice is in the Los Al pool.
Get a wristwatch (with stopwatch) or if you are serious and have some extra $ get a GPS watch (not required - just for the serious).
- While you are training there will be coaches running and riding with you - but due to the nature of our sport - we will spread out as we run.
- Be sure to follow all traffic rules and never cross the street illegally.
- When we run on the bike trail / river channel - run on the right side of the trail (leaving enough room for bike riders) or on the dirt (a great option when available - for your legs).
- Always have a running partner. If you need to stop for the bathroom or return to school before the end of practice - take a buddy with you.
- As for phones - you can bring them to practice and lock them up in Coach Celestin’s room (816) at the start of practice and get them at the end. No phones or headphones while we run. At Seal Beach and hill days you can lock them in one or our cars - though we are not responsible for them.
- Coaches will stay for a few minutes after practice - but only a few minutes - please be sure you have arranged timely pickup from practice - otherwise you can wait at the front of school or the Seal Beach Pier at the end of practice. Exception - we will not leave from the hill location until everyone is picked up - so please be timely.
XC Stats - we log all of our workouts on XC Stats - it is a team requirement and also part of your grade when school begins. Please set up an account (using the handout) this week - it is free and start recording your workouts. We run based on both miles and minutes. Please record your running in miles. To calculate miles from minutes use the following - Boys varsity 7 minutes per mile, Girls Varsity and Boys JV 8 minutes per mile, Girls JV and Boys FS 9 minutes a mile. Rookies 10 minutes per mile. Athletes will earn a T-shirt for going over 300 miles, 500, 750 and 1000!
Remind App - We will also be communicating through the Remind App. To join, please text @lahsxc to 81010. If you are a varsity-esque runner, also text @lahsxcvar to 81010.
Important days to be aware of:
TBD. We order uniforms for the season - if we have not yet submitted your size - be sure we get it at practice by Wednesday or contact on of our booster co-presidents with your gender and size.
August 6 - 3 mile Team Time Trial at Central Park to make the team. Summer camp will get you ready for this.
August 21 - Family Dinner and Season Orientation at Rush Park (this will be our only meeting for the season)
TBD - Shoe Night at Snail’s Pace in Fountain Valley
September 1 - First Race - Great Cow - Cerritos - all races in the morning.